Below are some helpful tips Acri Community Realty has concerning property protection.
When you go on vacation, or simply leave for work in the morning, the last thing you want to worry about is home security and safety. Visibly empty condos are prime targets for vandalism or break-ins, and the threat is real. According to the FBI, more than 2.1 million burglaries occurred in the U.S. in 2010, with an average $2,100 dollar loss per incident.
By now, you probably know the drill: always lock your doors and windows, stop your mail and newspapers prior to vacations, and put your lights on a timer. Here are some additional helpful suggestions to prevent you from becoming a victim of a burglary or an act of vandalism:
- Don’t “Buzz” anybody in the front door without positive verification. It is unsafe to allow strangers to gain entrance to the building.
- Don’t post your travel plans on social media sites, talk about your trip with casual acquaintances, or leave notes on the front door indicating that you’re not home.
- Consider purchasing a security system that directly alerts police to intruders.
- Leave shades, blinds, and curtains in normal positions, but be sure to keep valuables out of sight.
- Ask a neighbor to pick up newspapers and mail.
As always be vigilant for suspicious activity, an alert neighbor is always the best safety defense.